NewsBin Pro vs. News Rover vs. Agent
unknown
2006-04-25 23:15:17 UTC
Been using Forte Agent, strictly for text posts, exploring UseNet for
binary music. I assume Agent is definitely not the best choice for
binary.

Users familiar with News Rover and NewsBin Pro, which is better and do
they each have their pluses.

Also is either suitable as a replacement for Agent for Text Posts or
do you recommend something else?

Thanks.

---

"J. J."
Dan
2006-04-26 11:19:35 UTC
Post by unknown
Been using Forte Agent, strictly for text posts, exploring UseNet for
binary music. I assume Agent is definitely not the best choice for
binary.
Users familiar with News Rover and NewsBin Pro, which is better and do
they each have their pluses.
Also is either suitable as a replacement for Agent for Text Posts or
do you recommend something else?
Thanks.
---
"J. J."
Neither Newsbin Pro nor Newsrover are suitable for text posts. These are
primarily binary downloaders. Newsman Pro handles binary and text
messages seamlessly.

Regards
--
Download the freeware version at:
http://www.newsmanpro.com/download/Setup_NMFree.exe

Features: http://www.newsmanpro.com
Screenshots: http://www.newsmanpro.com/screenindex.htm
Forums: http://www.newsmanpro.com/phpbb2
directjj
2006-04-29 00:03:35 UTC
Dan
2006-04-29 13:53:00 UTC
Post by directjj
Newsman Pro On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 07:19:35 -0400, "Dan"
Post by Dan
Neither Newsbin Pro nor Newsrover are suitable for text posts. These are
primarily binary downloaders. Newsman Pro handles binary and text
messages seamlessly.
NewsMan Pro looks very sexy, like a MS application (compared to Agent
which looks like a DOS App)
Anyhow I tried NewsBin Pro trial today and without spending much time
learning how to use it downloaded enough to exceed my monthly ISP
quota. That's a good thing I guess.
Is NewsMan Pro a good runner up to NewsBin Pro for binaries, or is it
a case where you can't have your cake and eat it too, i.e. can't
settle for one app and expect it to be as good as dedicated pair of
apps, one for text and one for binaries.
Also concerened about speed. I understand NewsMan Pro can be slow
compared to Agent for text speed, and of course speed is a concern for
binaries too.
---
"J. J."
Where'd you ever get the idea that it's slow?

On a well-configured machine, it's just as fast as any other newsreader,
for binaries as well as text.

It retrieves binaries exactly ther same way as Newsleecher and Newsbin,
segment by segment using multiple connections.

Regards